From Sugar to Revolution: Women’s Visions of Haiti, Cuba and the Dominican Republic (Academic), Wilfrid Laurier U. Press (Waterloo, Canada), 2012.
For more information, please go to: http://www.wlu.ca/press/Catalog/chancy.shtml
** The Loneliness of Angels
Winner of the Guyana Prize for Literature Caribbean Award 2010, Best Book of Fiction, awarded in Georgetown, Guyana, Sept. 1, 2011 !!!!
L.O.A. was previously longlisted for the 2011 OCM Bocas Prize in Caribbean Literature & shortlisted in its fiction category in the Spring of 2011 **
* * * *
Recent Invited Talks & Appearances: (Please check back for updated information)
* Invited Speaker, MLA Division on Francophone Literature & Cultures Panel: “Haiti Studies: Current Debates and New Directions,” MLA Conference, Seattle, January 8, 2012.
* Symposium Speaker & Co-Host, “History’s Hauntings: The Future of Haiti’s Sovereign Sustainability” Symposium, UC, January 13-14, 2012.
* Invited Speaker, “Narrating the Caribbean: Food for Thought & Food For the Soul” Symposium, University of Kentucky, February 3, 2012.
* Keynote Speaker & Literary Reading, Black Migration Symposium, Vanderbilt & Fisk Universities, Nashville, TN, February 10-11, 2012.
* Writer-in-Residence, University of West Indies, Trinidad & Tobago, April 5-May 5, 2012.
* Keynote Speaker, “Transnational Hispaniola II,” Rutgers University, April 12-14, 2012.
* Invited Author, Bocas Literary Festival, Port of Spain, Trinidad, April 26-29, 2012.
* Literary Reading & Q&A, Kariwak Village, Tobago, May 1, 2012
* Invited Speaker, Lloyd Best Institute Convoy Conversations, Trinidad, May 3, 2012
* Invited Speaker, The Isolation of Memory: A Conversation with Achy Obejas & Myriam J. A. Chancy, May 8, 6-8 pm, DePaul University
* Invited Author & Speaker, St. Martin Book Fair, May 31-June 3, 2012.
* Writer-in-Residence, Union Institute & University, Cincinnati, OH, July 11-13, 2012.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS :
* From Sugar to Revolution: Women’s Visions of Haiti, Cuba and the Dominican Republic (Academic), Wilfrid Laurier U. Press (Waterloo, Canada), 2012.
* The Loneliness of Angels (A Novel) Leeds, England: Peepal Tree Press, 2010.
Essays, Fiction, Poetry, Etc.:
* “Hearing Our Mothers: Safeguarding Haitian Women’s Representation & Practices of Survival.” (Abbreviated Essay) In Tectonic Shifts: Haiti Since the Earthquake, Eds. Mark Schuller & Pablo Morales. West Hartford: Kumarian Press, January 2012.
* “Under/Water” (Poem) In Pawol Fanm, Special Issue of Meridians (Winter 2012)
* “Floating Islands: Spectatorship and the Body Politic in the Traveling Subjectivities of John Edgar Wideman and Edwidge Danticat.” (Essay) Small Axe 36 (November 2011)
* Interview, Obsidian (Fall 2011)
* “The Aftermath” (Nonfiction Essay) Vandal Literary Journal 2:1 (Fall 2011)
* “Il Suono Dell’Acqua” (Fiction, Translation), Tr. Claudia Gargano. Il Tolomeo (Venice, Italy), Fall 2011.
* “Desecrated Bodies/Phantom Limbs: Post-Traumatic Reconstructions of Corporeality in Haiti/Rwanda.” Atlantic Studies. Vol. 8 No. 1 (March 2011): 109-123.
* “Hearing Our Mothers: Safeguarding Haitian Women’s Self-Representation & Practices of Survival.” (Complete Essay) In Beyond Silence: Meaning & Memory in the Noise of Haiti’s Present. Ed. Winter Schneider. Miami: Caribbean Press, forthcoming.
RECENT INVITED READINGS & ADDRESSES:
Literary Reading, English, Women’s & International Studies, Wittenberg University, October 7, 2011.
Invited Author, Book Signings, Books By the Bank, Public Library of Cincinnati, Duke Energy Center, 10-1 pm, October 22, 2011.
2011 Bartolomé de las Casas Lecture in Latin American Studies, “Submission or Omission: Haiti’s Challenge in Latin America,” Center for Latino/a and Latin American Studies. Co-sponsored by UO College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Romance Languages, Latin American Studies, Department of Ethnic Studies, The Americas Steering Committee, Newman Center, the Knight Law School, and the Center for the Study of Women in Society, University of Oregon, April 14, 2011.
Creative Reading, Antioch College Winter Reading Series, February 6, 2011.
Invited Speaker/Seminar Leader, Haiti in Literature & Ideology, Comparative Literature Program & School of Languages, Literatures and Cultures Faculty/Grad. Seminar, University of Maryland, Dec. 10, 2010.
Invited Speaker, American Studies Association, Presidential Plenary, San Antonio, Texas, Nov. 21-22, 2010.
Keynote Speaker, Haiti and the Americas: Histories, Cultures, Imaginations Conference, Florida Atlantic University, October 21-23, 2010.